I had my appointment with my surgeon today to take some more tissue. I am now the proud owner of another scar, a few more stitches and hopefully clean margins. I asked the surgeon if we was sure he had the right site because it's no use getting sliced and diced if it's the wrong spot. He said he was 100% sure. (I can't see it because it's bandaged right now.) And I asked him his opinion regarding the first (unoriented) tissue. Did he feel it was probably oriented away from the skin and thus clear? He said yes. So I am awaiting the path reports which will probably be ready Tuesday.
Traffic was easy-breezy going into D.C. We made the trip in 1 hour and 15 minutes. And since Mark and I navigate all our adventures using Sibley Hospital as our starting point, we decided to get lunch at the hospital. (We are dorks. In our defense, there isn't much around the surgeon's office for eateries.) We got to the surgeon's office about 1:45 and he took me back around 2:15. So we were on our way home at 3 p.m., the original time of my appointment. Of course our trek home took 3 hours.
And we discovered this morning that our kitchen sink is clogged. Mark has tried clearing it, but no dice. We have a call in to the plumber as I type. Wednesday it was our AC. Any guesses as to what breaks when we head to D.C. to meet with the oncologist?
Speaking of which, I faxed my path reports to the oncologist at Dana Farber. As soon as I receive my oncotype testing back, she will weigh in on treatment options. So I may give the oncologist at Sibley a call and see if it is still worthwhile to go in next week since the oncotype won't be back for at least another week. There is no sense trekking into D.C. if he cannot determine an accurate treatment plan yet.
In good news, my surgeon asked me to raise my arms up and was quite surprised at the range of motion I had. He said I have 90-95% in my left arm and 80-85% in my right. Evidently, most people at this stage can only raise their arms parallel to the floor. I was actually able to shave my arm pits this morning. (Disgusting, I know, but I was seriously excited I could do it. It's those little things in life that make you happy.)
On the kid front, my parents and brother-in-law took my kids and nephew to Newfound Lake in New Hampshire today. When I spoke to them today, the kids had evidently made a freshwater clam farm. I understood this to be a large hole they had dug near the water in which they kept their clams (found by Uncle Sean). Dad has promised me he took loads of pictures, which the scrapbooker in me is very happy about. So I think they have had a great day. And I am sure their ride home will be very quiet as I imagine they will all be asleep. At least I am sure their Nana and Grampa hope so.
I totally get you about shaving the pits. Shaving is something that makes me "feel like a woman" more than almost anything else!
ReplyDeleteI'm so glad the doctors felt positive about the outcome of the tests...and I'm anxiously awaiting the results, too.
And can I just say you must get all of your energy from your Mom and Dad. I can't believe they took five kids to a lake and managed to stay pleasant and have fun with them. I have good intentions, but...it's not pretty.
Miss you. Thinking about you. And praying for you.
Thank you, Rachel. Wish we could get together and chat.
ReplyDelete