This is an e-mail Mark sent me last week. He finds he can process things better when he writes and I find I can "hear" him better when I see the words in front of me and can ponder them. And as I head into today's infusion, I am trying to keep them in mind. Because while (hopefully) at the end of the day I can say I am halfway through, it is discouraging to finally being feeling more normal and get hit again.
"It occurred to me that in some of my attempts to encourage you, the word “remember” shows up every once in a while. You should know that urging you to remember is in no way a veiled criticism, nor is it, heaven forbid, condescension. After all, you are the Kaiser, (a nickname Mark coined for me when we were engaged. Flattering, don't you think?) and I am but poor G. Gus! :) (Gloomy Gus - Mark's nickname for himself) Seriously my dear, the word is used as much for my benefit as it is for yours. Like all humans, both of us are forgetful creatures when it comes to the most important things; and we forget, not because our memory fails us, but because circumstances overwhelm us. It is part of our fallen natures to automatically consider a current circumstance or fact to be the permanent defining feature of our existence. In both good times and bad we think, wrongly, “as it is now, so shall it ever be.” We have to remember, or be reminded, that the things of this world are temporary. The things which are not seen, among which are the best good things God has prepared for us, are permanent. Christ knows our natures, and the Comforter he has given to us calls the permanent things to our remembrance as we have need. If you feel weak, remember that His arm is strong to save, and that He is your Savior in particular. If you feel sick, remember that Christ is the Good Shepherd, and all good shepherds take very special care of ailing sheep. If you weep and your heart aches because of some loss you feel, remember that Christ knows all about weeping, and He is especially close to the broken- hearted who trust Him. If you are frustrated in your efforts, remember that nothing is too hard for your good King, the King who loves you and gave himself for you. And do remember His love. As much as I love you, as much as your children and parents and family and friends love you, our best combined capability to love you pales in comparison to Christ’s love for you. Remember that you are in His hands, not that of a diagnosis. He willingly bought you with a price and so you are the apple of His eye. Fly to Him, and on your worst day you can run through a troop, and leap over a wall. Love, G. Gus."
This is a good reminder for all of us. Thanks for sharing. We'll be praying today and plan to see you tomorrow.
ReplyDeleteUmmm....what he said.
ReplyDeleteWow. He has such a way with words!
Amen, and Amen!
:-)
ReplyDelete