Camp 2018

Camp 2018

Monday, August 22, 2011

Maturity

I overheard Caleb several evenings ago ask his sister, Elisabeth, if she had been playing with his iPod shuffle.  She, of course, answered, "No," even though her little fingers had been all over it.  Caleb came to me and I told him that if he had left it out where she could get it, he bore some of the responsibility.

The next thing I heard was Caleb in Elisabeth's room, speaking calmly and quietly.  (I could learn from him.  In fact he employed the patient voice I have to work extremely hard to summon.)  "Elisabeth, I just want you to tell me the truth.  I am not angry.  I am not upset.  I just want you to tell me the truth.  Did you have my iPod?"  She evidently 'fessed up.  And he continued, "I know I shouldn't have left it out.  That was my fault.  But could you please ask before you use my iPod?  Because you left it laying on Noah's floor where it could get broken and you left it on and the battery will run down."  (To which she wailed, "But you never let me use it!!"  Drama, remember?)  And he went on, "You just need to ask me."  (More wailing - "But I don't know how to turn it off!!")  "Here.  Let me show you how to turn it off.  See?  If you look on the side and the green light is on, it's still on.  Here is the switch and here is how you turn it off."  All spoken so calmly and patiently.

And the next day, lo and behold, he let her use his shuffle.  And he set up the Veggietales album on there so she could hear it.  And he showed her how to run it. 

So yes, I am bragging about my son.  Because I am going to come back and revisit this post and remind myself that he is growing up and maturing - especially on those occasional days I want to tear my hair out and sell him to the gypsies.

2 comments:

  1. Wow!!! That's a lot of self-control, thoughtfulness and kindness. He's a great brother, and he'll make a great dad some day.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Caleb could teach me a thing or two.

    ReplyDelete