Camp 2018

Camp 2018

Tuesday, September 4, 2012

Discovering Gray

The girls have recently taken to brushing my hair.  Ah, bliss. 

This morning I was sitting on the floor of the family room reading to someone and Elisabeth was brushing my hair.  Caleb looked at me and remarked, "Mom, you are getting gray hair."  He was less than thrilled when I responded that it was probably him who was responsible for my gray hairs.  :)

But then Noah looked at me and commented, "Mom, you have gray hairs!"  And tears welled up in his eyes and overflowed down his cheeks.  I took him on my lap and tried to explain that everyone gets gray hairs and some people get them earlier than others and Nana even had a friend in high school who had gray hairs.  I told him I had a few gray hairs even before I lost all my hair.

Still the tears.

I could not get a word out of him as to why he was so upset.  If I had to hazard a guess, Noah is realizing we all age and is concerned about losing his momma.  Sometimes I hate what these last two years have done to my children's peace of mind. 

So I cuddled him a bit and hugged him harder.  I love that at almost eight he will still climb on my lap and he tells me he loves me and that I rock.  Even with gray hairs.

No comments:

Post a Comment