Mom and Dad graciously arranged their schedules and stayed yesterday with the kids while Mark and I headed to D.C. (In fact they are packing to get on the road as I type. It's only 5:52 a.m.) I met with my oncologist and we have decided on a treatment schedule. And hooray! It's only 8 doses every two weeks instead of 16. Since I opted out of the clinical trial (with a second oncologist at Dana Farber's blessing and recommendation) the dosage schedule is different. So I will receive two different drugs together every two weeks for a total of 4 times. These are the scary drugs that can cause all kinds of nasty side effects (besides your typical fatigue, nausea, and hair falling out in ginormous clumps) so any prayers offered to escape those really nasty effects would be highly appreciated. After finishing that cocktail, I will move to a new drug every two weeks for a total of 8 doses.
I asked the oncologist what I could expect as far as how I would feel and he said the first day I received an infusion I would probably feel normal or even jittery because they pump you full of steroids to counteract the nausea. The second day he said I might feel like I am coming down with a stomach bug and the third day like I am pretty sick to my stomach. But by the fourth day I should be feeling fairly normal. So I am set for my first infusion next Thursday. Mark is off from work Friday so he will be around for those first few days as I see exactly how I react. I am evidently supposed to receive a shot the day after to get my white blood cell count going and my oncologist is going to try and arrange that with my GP.
And then off we went to the plastic surgeon. He said I am healing well and proceeded with expansion, which really apart from my rib cage area being a bit sore is a total non-event. Hooray! Because I could use a non-event. Mark and I joked as we were driving home that the syringe he used was enormous, like in the cartoons when a doctor gives a shot and pulls out an giant shot from Acme Doctoring or something. I go back and see him in about three weeks for another expansion session. And then we will take stock of where I am and what I think about another session. Definitely not trying to be Dolly Parton or something.
And so the agenda for this week is definitely getting the boys some haircuts because they are shaggy! And the kids are all longing for me to take them to the pool. During the month they were in MA, Peter graduated from swimming a foot or two to swimming all over the pool and out to the deep end. Noah learned to swim, and Elisabeth is putting her head under water and has taken off her swimmies and is working on swimming. So they all have lots to show me. Peter needs new sneakers because the boy just keeps growing. And Friday we are going to the beach with some friends. And Vacation Bible School starts next week. Have not yet figured out how we are going to get the kids their Thursday night because I am not sure when I will get back from D.C. (we will be driving home during rush hour, oh joy) but I am sure it will all work out.
It's nice to have some normal days before things get a little wonky. And believe it or not, Noah and Elisabeth are wondering when we will start school. So we have things to do and things to look forward to.
Congrats to the kids on the swimming success! Sounds like you have plenty to keep your mind busy and your heart full. :-)
ReplyDeleteI'm so glad you have a plan and it is shorter than you expected! Yay! Glad the kids are home. Wow! They made a lot of progress in the pool this summer. :) I continue to pray for you.
ReplyDeleteMelissa (Yada Yada Yada)
Praying.
ReplyDelete