Camp 2018

Camp 2018

Tuesday, March 1, 2011

A Quick Update

My father-in-law reminded me this evening when I called to update him about Caleb that I haven't posted in a few days.  Things have been a bit hectic here, but here's a brief update on the goings-on here. 

First, it's March 1st.  The hair is growing, don't you think?
Peter took the photo for me.  It's a wee bit blurry, but I have hair.  It's about the length of my uber-short hair style I had in prep for the chemo fall out. 

Secondly, the kids were supposed to start Little League this week.  I had to stop Noah from putting on his baseball clothes at 6 a.m. this morning.  Unfortunately, the rain last night caused Elisabeth's practice to be cancelled (but no crying on her part...hooray!) and put Peter and Noah's field under water for practice tonight.  No go.  They have great hopes for Saturday's practices.

And today Caleb went back to the orthopedic doctor.  He had taken x-rays last week and wanted to see where Caleb was this week.  So he took more x-rays today and Caleb's wrist bone has continued to move this week, through absolutely no fault those who originally set it.  Last week angle of the broken bones was 10 degrees.  Today it was 15 degrees.  The way Caleb's doctor explained it, Caleb is a "tween" - in some ways a little boy and in others, a young man.  In a younger child, the bones probably would not have moved, but Caleb is older and stronger and can exert more force on his wrist bones.  And so they moved.  I knew going into this after talking to the doctor in Massachusetts that the bones moving was a possibility.  That was one reason he stressed (and we followed through on) finding a good local orthopedic doctor.  So tomorrow we head to the hospital where the doctor will reset the bones.  Evidently in the second week (right where we are now) the ends of the bone get sticky.  If he resets it and the bones "stick", he will cast Caleb's arm and be done.  If the bones still flop, he will pin it and then cast it.  Am I a horrible mother to hope he pins it and we don't have to think about it moving?  I will be asking the doctor that question tomorrow.  And Caleb really is a boy-man.  I heard him tonight on the phone explaining each step to my parents and telling me how he is looking forward to tomorrow so he won't have to wonder about his wrist anymore.  And in the next breath he is telling me he will bring his Lovie with him and could I please explain to the people at the hospital, "That I'm not a baby.  It's just I've had my Lovie for a long time." I love that boy-man.

And in exciting news - we got a whole day of school completed yesterday.  Because we had no, I repeat no doctor's appointments.  I even got to spelling and science and did the experiment too. (I admit I am totally patting myself on the back here, I know.)  Amazing.  Today was shot, but I finally have wised up.  It's only taken me, what?  Six, seven, eight months?  I don't have to schedule history and read alouds or whatever on days that I won't be home for a full day.  Well, duh, slap myself on the forehead.  I actually didn't have to race madly around to catch up when Caleb and I returned home today.  And I even left myself some room in our schedule on Friday to play catch up.  See, ladies and gentlemen, I can be taught.  It just takes me a while.

I'll update more on Caleb tomorrow and I know I have to go back and see how I did on February's goals.  I'll get to it.  Promise.

2 comments:

  1. Your hair's looking good!!

    Gotta love those boy-men. I've got a 16yo who drives a car one minute and next minute he's outside having a sword fight with the tire swing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jeanne, I love boy-men. He can rationally discuss all the stuff he's been through and then I find him under the dining room table racing matchboxes. :)

    ReplyDelete